Skip to main content

Bruisyard

Welcome to the website for the village of Bruisyard in Suffolk

Home
What's On
Photos
Old photos
Photogallery
Parish Council
Village Hall
Parish Church
Neighbourhood Watch
BSAC
Alde Community Council
Business Directory
Public Services
Contact Us
Recent photos of Bruisyard are shown below and on the Photogallery page.
 
To see the old photos of Bruisyard go to Old Photos.
 
 

St Peters' Church, Bruisyard

 

St Peter's Church, an ancient foundation, is a wonderfully simple flint church with a round and slightly tapered tower, to which the nave was added, c.1363-4. The tower is thought to have been built originally as a defensive structure when the old fort at Bruisyard (possibly of Roman origin) was rebuilt, not long after the Mercians invaded East Anglia in 654AD. Part of the defenses against the Norse pirates, the tower would have guarded the ford over the River Alde.

 

 

Bruisyard Hall

 

Originally the manor of Rokehall, the Abbey at Bruisyard was founded as the Poor Clare Convent of Minoresses in 1367 by Maud of Lancaster and her son-in-law Lionel, Duke of Clarence. The community was begun by 13 Franciscan sisters. After the dissolution of the Convent in 1539 it then became the property of Sir Nicholas Hare, Master of Requests to Henry VIII and Edward VI, Master of the Rolls and Privy Councillor to Queen Mary. A tudor hall was built on the site incorporating some of the old Abbey. The Hall has been in the Rous family since 1609 and has been extensively restored in recent years providing self-catering accommodation.

 

 

 

The Arch - bridge over the River Alde

 

Bruisyard Arch, which is best viewed from the Parish Park, is an attractive brick bridge constructed in 1810, and is reputed to be the place where animals watered and the village washing done. The remains of barrel staves are still to be seen under the bridge, where open top barrels were set into the river bed to hold clean water for drinking. Baptisms were regular events in the river.

 

 

Bruisyard Village Hall - opened in 2010

 

 

Bruisyard Street

 

 

Footpath leading up to St Peters' Church

 

 

The Village Sign at The Pound

 

The Village Sign, which has been described as "quite the prettiest village sign in the county", depicts St. Clare who founded the Order of the Poor Clares. The sign was designed and executed by Anne Smith. The sign is located on The Pound which is a small triangle of land where stray animals would have been impounded.